Sunday, January 30, 2011

Old People That Get It

"His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." 2 Peter 1:3

It's so true. God provides what we need.

Today was the last Sunday of January. The past five Sundays of this month I helped out with a ministry for autistic children at my parents' church.

I won't lie. It was hard. My heart grumbled, a lot, lot, lot! Not only did I not want to go to my parents' church because I knew no one, playing guitar and singing with these kids was nothing like worshiping with the kids I've worked with in the past. You can sing your heart out and they'd still be staring at the ceiling and chewing on glue bottles.

I would've given up after the first 10 minutes if I had to do it on my own. Yet in the time I spent with these kids, God encouraged me through some of the most generous and patient Chinese adults ever. They would constantly hold the kids' hands and say, "God loves you!" and "God bless you!" even if the kids didn't respond, at all. That's ministry...by faith.

It was the fobby parents trying to sing modern kids worship songs that pointed me towards of the beauty of the gospel. They are the ones who reminded me this what the Kingdom is all about-- loving the "least of these."





Here's another old person quote I really like from Francis Schaeffer's True Spirituality:

A quiet disposition and a heart giving thanks at any moment is the real test of the extent to which we love God at that moment.

Dude, he says it so well, eh?