This semester, I've been attending this really large church on Sundays in San Jose called Westgate Community Church. They have four services every Sat/Sun packed with lovely white people and their coffees, and I look forward to every Sunday and leave super duper encouraged. It's always such a God-exalting refreshing place to start off my week...GAH I LOVE IT :D
It's so large though that I don't really know anyone there. That's the one thing that I wish could change. My parents and sis go to the Chinese church down the street while I go to the big Caucasian one. Even though I sit in the same area every Sunday, I always see new faces and I don't recognize anyone. It's kinda sad. With school all the way in Berkeley, I haven't been able to get plugged into a small group because all of them meet during the week in San Jose. It's just too far away. Still trying to figure out what to do once I graduate...
Nevertheless, I was still reminded today of how wonderful people can be when they know God's love.
Today was mother's day. As a token of appreciation, the church handed out a little bag of Lindt chocolates to all the moms in the sanctuary in the middle of the service.
On my right sat a mom with two daughters. Her daughters were about my age, maybe a little older. When this mom got her bag of chocolates, she opened it, and turned to me and said, "I want to share this with you."
I was so surprised, but smiled and thanked her. And I was also quite happy, because I LOVE CHOCOLATE.
Then I sat through the rest of the service, looking at the chocolate, with tears sporadically streaming down my cheeks.
Why the hell did I cry?
I'm not really sure. I was just so touched by her kindness. Even though I wasn't even her daughter, she still loved me like a mother would.
There are ways that God makes you, you. If you just take that and quietly bless people next to you, even strangers, it can be a huge blessing.
After the service, I tapped her on the shoulder and thanked her for her kindness.
She smiled so warmly and gave me a gentle hug.
That is how you change the world for Jesus.
God reminded me of how one can be salt and light for His glory. The same way you would eat an elephant. Little by little. Small things truly matter.