Monday, May 10, 2010

Unexpected

5 years ago, as an ambitious 17-year-old still waiting to hear back from colleges, I planned to spend 4 years at Yale, go to medical school, meet my holy husband, and then go overseas to serve as a missionary doctor and become the next female version of Hudson Taylor. The thought of not getting along with people didn't even occur to me. My life was going to be perfect.

5 years later, I look back to my years in Berkeley and remember:

1)barely passing many of my classes and being rejected and humiliated by the world 2) feeling hurt like I've never hurt before 3) and somehow becoming a combination of Hitler and Oscar the grouch and letting people down over and over

Yet, I can still say it was perfect, because...

my God is a living Redeemer.

There is just too much evidence of His grace for me to doubt I'm in the wrong place. A quick glance at the type of people God has placed in my life is more than enough.

I've been reluctant these past weeks to invite people to celebrate graduation with me because I have failed in so many ways.

But this morning, I realized that life isn't about celebrating me. Ahaha. SILLY ME.

It's about rejoicing in God's redemptive and perfect work, in progress, through Jesus alone.

ONE MORE WEEK OF FINALS, BABY!

:)