Thursday, May 12, 2011

how i met your Father

Year 2035

Kids,

Back in May 2010, I had just graduated from college. I was single, naive and scared shitless of being an adult.

The year following college was a year full of firsts.

First full-time job.
First car --> this led to first time driving on a freeway and parallel parking.
First own apartment.
First personal credit card.
First marathon.
First blind date.
First clubbing experience.
First time getting wasted.
First time going on a vacation alone.
First time paying for my own education.
First time filing taxes and saving for retirement.
First time one of my closest friends had a child.

It was a good year. A year where I started to realize the richness of letting life just unfold itself. A year of taking baby steps of faith, and only baby steps. A year of realizing that I know absolutely nothing and that I was still really young.

Working life was different, quite different, but I liked it. In school, your responsibilities were clear and your priorities were set. But afterwards, it's not and that's where the fun and not-so-fun stuff comes in. I had a lot to learn.

This was a year where I thought I was floating around alone, but I wasn't. God had given me His Word. And in my heart was living His beautiful Spirit. And on top of all that, I had friends and family to make life full of beauty. And day after day, even until now, I have to listen for the Shepherd's leading. It's a wild adventure!

At age 23, there were times when I thought, "Oh man, I've messed up my life. It's over."

But the truth was: This love story has just begun.

And so the story of how I met my Father, my Heavenly Father, continues to this day. I'm still meeting Him. God is so big and grand, and I think all my life, for as long as I am on this earth, it will seem as if I'm just meeting Him and never able to really know God because His love is unfathomably huge and always full of surprises.

It was also this year that I started watching TV, specifically the TV series "How I Met Your Mother." I stayed away from this show for awhile because I really thought it was going to full of "your mom" jokes and I cringe when I hear those jokes.

Your uncle Dawson used to quote this show all the time, saying things like "WHAT UUUP" and he'd shoot finger guns into his head and use the word "legendary" totally out of context. I thought he was weird, but actually, he was just being AWWWESOME.

Anyways kids, what I want to say is that you're still young, but your life with Jesus can be legendary, no matter what the circumstances. And you're never alone.

End.

Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun ... ba ba baaa baaa ba ba ba baaaaa (theme song)

Haha, this is what watching season 3 of HIMYM in one weekend does to my mind. I think like an old dad.

Note: I may die tonight and never have kids. So don't read into this more than necessary. I do hope that if I do have kids, however, I will know who the father is. My coworker thinks I'm going to give birth to Jesus as the second virgin Mary. I told her Jesus is coming back with trumpets and not in my tummy. Oh glorious day! :)