Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Can't Call It A Lame Excuse

"The most often repeated commandment in the Bible is "Do not fear." It's in there over two hundred times. That means a couple of things, if you think about it. It means we are going to be afraid, and it means we shouldn't let fear boss us around. Before I realized we were supposed to fight fear, I thought of fear as a subtle suggestion in our subconscious designed to keep us safe, or more important, keep us from getting humiliated. And I guess it serves that purpose. But fear isn't only a guide to keep us safe, it's also a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life."

-Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

I was just totally inspired by this book to bike across the country. With my dad. It would be such a painful, life changing, and God-exalting experience to see the sunrise and sunset and everything in between, on a BIKE.

After reading this book, I walk back home and call my parents.

Me: Mom, ask Dad if he wants to ride across the country with me on a bike!!! 7 weeks, 10 hours a day.
Mom: Are you crazy. Stop dreaming.
Dad (in background): I already ran a marathon.
Me: But wouldn't it be such an awesome thing to do?!
Dad: I already ran a marathon.
Me: But, but...but it'd be so cool!!!!!!!!
Dad: I already ran a marathon.

Speechless.

Maybe I'll try again next week.